Chicken* soup recipe
The faint, thickened feeling in my throat yesterday bloomed into a full-bore head cold. I looked through the pantry for chicken soup and found none, so I made up my own.
Chicken* potato whatever’s-around soup
(*The only chicken is in the bouillon – easily made vegetarian)
1. Slice up 1 onion, 5 small-med. potatoes (cut to bite size), 2 stalks of celery, 3-4 carrots (too floppy for snacking), and a jalapeno (old and wrinkly, back of the fridge – okay!).
2. Heat a heavy-bottomed Dutch oven. Add 3Tbs. olive oil. Sauté onion ~5mins.
3. Add 3Tbs. butter to pot. Throw in chopped veggies, plus ¾ cup of frozen corn. Stir to coat, sauté ~10mins.
4. Add 4 cups water and 4tsps. of bouillon (I like “Better Than Bouillon” seasoned roasted chicken flavor.)
5. Run out to herb garden and snip a generous handful of frozen parsley and 2 stalks of rosemary (at least I think it’s rosemary…it smells good). Pick out dead leaves, rinse, de-stem. Chop fine. Throw in soup, which is already starting to boil. Add a lot of ground pepper too (no salt! There’s enough in the bouillon).
6. Cover and simmer another ~15-20mins. Sip a cup of tea until potatoes are tender.
7. Run an immersion blender in the pot until soup thickens, but there’s still a lot of chunks left.
Delicious! And good for what ails you.
My 60th year in 60,000 words
Day 86: 229 words, TOTAL = 14,467; 45,533 remaining
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.
Robin Clifford Wood is an award-winning author, poet, and writing teacher. She lives in central Maine with her husband, loves to be outdoors, and enjoys ever-expanding horizons through her children, grandchildren, and granddogs.